Best University to Work For in 2017
In Florida, you may start working at the early age of 14 years old. Young students strive for a better future and lots of teens start working early in their lives. This is always helpful and allows teens to gain understanding of the real world. Colleges in Miami, such as FIU and Miami-Dade, offer jobs to students. This is an amazing opportunity since most students need an income to support themselves and their studies.
The Chronicles of Higher Education has recently rated Miami-Dade College and Florida International University the best colleges to work for in 2017.
FIU is the only university in the country this year to achieve honor roll designation in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s annual report with recognition in all of the 12 following categories:
- Collaborative Governance: Faculty members play significant roles in decisions on academic programs.
- Compensation & Benefits: Wages and benefits are fair to the employees.
- Confidence in Senior Leadership: Leaders have the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary for the success of the college.
- Diversity: The college makes a concerted effort to create a welcoming and fair environment for all employees.
- Facilities, Work-space, & Security: Employees feel safe on their beautiful campus and feel as if their needs are met.
- Job Satisfaction: Overall, all employees find their jobs to be meaningful to themselves and to the college.
- Professional/Career- Development Programs: Employees get chances to develop skills and understand requirements for career advancement.
- Respect & Appreciation: Employees feel satisfied with the way they are treated and feel as if they are recognized for their hard work and contributions.
- Supervisor or Department-Chair Relationship: Supervisors and department chairs make expectations clear and constantly bring up new ideas.
- Teaching Environment: Innovative and high-quality teaching are recognized at the school.
- Tenure Clarity & Process: Requirements for tenure are clear.
- Work/Life Balance: FIU ensures employee schedule flexibility in order to maintain their lives outside of work.
Here are a few words from the president of FIU: “At FIU, we are passionate about our students and our community. Urgency about student achievement, community engagement, and making the world a better place drives us. Our university operates as a 24/7/365 solutions center with a sense of inclusivity, respect, and optimism. We serve as an anchor institution and a beacon of hope and opportunity for our community. Receiving recognition in all categories of ‘Great Colleges to Work For’ is a testament to the hard work, dedication and commitment of our faculty and staff.” — Mark B. Rosenberg
On the other hand, the 2-4 year college, Miami-Dade College was recognized for the following categories:
- Collaborative Governance
- Compensation & Benefits
- Confidence in Senior Leadership
- Job Satisfaction
- Professional/Career Development Programs
- Respect and Appreciation
- Supervisor/Department Chair Relationship
- Teaching Environment
- Work/Life Balance
A few words from the Miami Dade president: “Miami Dade College is a unique academic environment where employees and students thrive while giving back to their community and making a difference as engaged global citizens. At MDC, we support a spirit of innovation, inclusion, and integrity, where employees enjoy collaborating with colleagues who are equally passionate about their jobs. I am proud to lead such a dynamic and diverse team. There really is no better place to work than here at Democracy’s College.” — Eduardo J. Padron
If you or someone you know is currently on a job hunt, FIU is here to help. On the website link below you will find over 400 job positions that may work for you. You can easily modify your search to your preferred campus, department, recently posted, and more. You can also find further information and assistance at the human resource department.
Link: Jobs @ FIU