Appreciation on Memorial Day
Student Luxury Living wishes you an amazing Memorial Day weekend!
What is Memorial Day, really?
For the most part, people know this holiday as a day off from school and work to have fun and relax. Although having a day off is great, we encourage you to stop and think of the importance of this day. This is a time to remember the lives lost in battle for our beautiful country and freedom.
The holiday began after the Civil War to honor the lost lives who fought in the Union and Confederate after more than 257 soldiers past away and were buried in unmarked graves. This day was initially called Decoration Day. People would decorate the graves of those who died in service to our country. The holiday became official in May 1966 by president Lyndon Johnson and grew stronger and began to be celebrated nationwide after World War II.
During that first national celebration, a speech was made by James Garfield, the Ohio Congressman, at Arlington National Cemetery. Thousands of people helped decorate the graves of over 20,000 Union and Confederate soldiers who were buried in this cemetery.
Here is a portion of the speech given by James Garfield:
“We do not know one promise these men made, one pledge they gave, one word they spoke; but we do know they summed up and perfected, by one supreme act, the highest virtues of men and citizens. For love of their country, they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue.”
Now, it is a tradition that the president or the vice president of the United States and thousands of people attend Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day to honor those lives lost. This day is truly special for the entire country because we have a chance to appreciate how far the United States has come. We honor those brave soldiers that fought for our country. We understand that because of that, we are now able to be one of the greatest countries in the world.
Here are some ways you can show appreciation to the United States and those who were part of the armed forces.
- At 3 p.m. the country as a whole takes one minute to remember what Memorial Day is all about.
- Show your gratitude! This is a great opportunity for you to show you care by giving thanks to a veteran or even a person you know who is in the armed forces now.
- Purchase poppy flowers! When you purchase poppy flowers on this special day, your donation goes to helping national service programs for veterans.
This three-day weekend is often spent enjoying the summer sun and day off from school or work. This holiday is celebrated on the last Monday of May. Those living in Miami usually take the day to go out and have fun with friends and family. Here are some activities you can take part in this Memorial Day weekend:
- Have some fun in the sun! Share laughs, memories and food at any park or beach of your choice. From Miami Beach to Hollywood beach chose your favorite spot and simply enjoy!
- Attend a parade! Many cities hold parades on Memorial Day to commemorate those lives lost fighting in battle.
- Enjoy the sounds! This weekend is also Miami’s “Urban Beach Week”. A festival found at South Beach where you can enjoy urban music, live entertainment, the beautiful beach, delicious food, and much more!